Brimming with hot, gooey Brie, sweet maple-glazed bacon and tangy spiced apple chutney, these beef steak burgers are the ideal autumnal comfort food.
This recipe was created by Kacie of the Rare Welshbit Food & Travel Blog
- Edwards of Conwy Beef Steak Burgers or Caramelised Onion Beef Steak Burgers
- Edwards of Conwy Dry Cured Bacon - Smoked or Unsmoked
- 2 Brioche or Sesame seeded Burger Buns
- 100g Brie (sliced)
- 2 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1/2 tbsp Spiced Apple Chutney (or more if you prefer)
- Small handful of Fresh Rocket
- 1/2 Medium Red Onion
- 1-2 tbsp Rapeseed Oil
- Heat the rapeseed oil in a heavy skillet or frying pan and cook the burgers over medium heat for around 14 - 16 minutes. Resist the urge to flip them more than once and as tempting as it may be, don't press them down with a spatula during cooking - this will help to ensure a succulent, juicy burger. Once cooked, leave them to rest for around five minutes.
- While the burgers are cooking, preheat the grill to a medium-high setting and grill the bacon for around 3 - 4 minutes, until it's just starting to cook. Then, remove the bacon from the grill and use a pastry or basting brush to coat it in maple syrup on both sides. Place the bacon back under the grill and continue to cook for a further 8 - 10 minutes or until it's as crispy as you like it. Don't forget to turn it over during cooking.
- When the burgers have almost finished cooking, top them with the sliced brie and then cover the skillet or pan with a lid to encourage the cheese to melt quicker. Alternatively, you can also melt the cheese under a hot grill.
- Chop the red onion up into thin slices. If you prefer, you can fry them before adding them to your burger. However, served raw, they do add a moreish tangy taste and pleasant crunch to the burger.
- Spread each bun lightly with butter and toast in a hot griddle pan for 3 - 4 minutes, until golden and crisp. This layer of fat helps to prevent the bun from getting too moist and soggy.
- Once the buns have cooled down and the burgers have rested, it's time to begin assembling your burger. First, place a small handful of fresh rocket onto each bun. Then, add the brie topped burgers, followed by the maple glazed bacon. Next, add a dollop of spiced apple chutney and finish with a couple of slices of red onion.