Serves: 6 Time: 1 hr 30 Mins
Packed with crunchy roasted Brussels sprouts and bacon in an indulgent, velvety Mornay sauce laden with béchamel and Gruyère cheese and flavoured with thyme and white wine, this Brussels sprout and bacon gratin could transform how you think about the humble British sprout!
This recipe was created by Kacie of the Rare Welshbit Food & Travel Blog
- Edwards of Conwy Streaky Bacon Rashers
- 650g Brussel Sprouts
- 850ml Whole Milk
- 200ml Double Cream
- 125ml White Wine
- 50g Plain Flour
- 50g Unsalted Butter
- 50g Parmigiano Reggiano
- 200g Gruyere
- 25g Panko Breadcrumbs
- 1/2 Whole Nutmeg (grated)
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/200°C Fan/Gas Mark 6
- Peel and wash the Brussels sprouts, chopping away any gnarly stalks. There's no need to remove the outer leaves, although some will probably fall off. If any of the sprouts are particularly big, you might wish to cut them in half. Then, arrange the sprouts in a dish and roast in the oven for 20 minutes or so.
- Meanwhile, chop the streaky bacon rashers into one-inch squares and fry in a little olive oil for 2 - 4 minutes, until they're just starting to cook. The aim of this is to encourage as much fat as possible to drain out of the bacon before we add it to the gratin. Remove the pan from the heat and allow the bacon rashers to rest on some kitchen towel to soak up any excess fat.
- Mix together the melted butter and flour to form a roux, stirring continuously with a fork or whisk to create a thick white sauce. Add a pinch of nutmeg and season with salt and pepper to taste, stirring continuously to form a thick bechamel sauce.
- Grate the Gruyere and Parmesan and add the one-third of the cheese to the bechamel sauce, making it a Mornay sauce. Add the white wine and fresh thyme and allow to simmer over low heat for 5 - 10 minutes, until the sauce has thickened.
- Remove the sprouts from the oven and mix the bacon into the mix.
- Pour the sauce over the sprouts and bacon, then mix the remainder of the grated cheese with panko breadcrumbs and sprinkle over the top.
- Transfer the dish to the oven and bake for 15 - 20 minutes, until golden brown and bubbling. Serve immediately.